It can be frustrating to receive a citation in the mail because a camera caught you doing something you shouldn’t have been doing. It seems unfair, but is it really?
Keep reading for the answers to your questions about red light cameras.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can red light cameras be considered entrapment?
No, a red light camera is not entrapment. An entrapment defense requires you to show you were coerced, by force, threat, or duress, into doing something you wouldn’t otherwise do.
Am I responsible for paying a red light camera ticket if someone else was driving my car?
Yes, the owner of the vehicle is responsible for paying for the citation, regardless of who was driving the vehicle at the time.
Will I receive a point on my driving record for a red light camera violation?
No, you won’t receive a point on your driving record.
How do red light cameras work?
When the light turns red, the camera is automatically activated through sensors picking up the vehicle driving over the crosswalk line. If you fail to stop, you might be sent a violation notice in the mail with the photo of your vehicle driving through the red light.
What are some possible defenses against a red light camera violation?
The following are some possible defenses:
- Your evidence displays that you drove through the red light due to a health or emergency circumstance.
- Your evidence displays that your vehicle malfunctioned or was disabled.
- Your evidence displays that you ran the red light because you were following instructions provided by law enforcement.
- Your evidence displays that you ran the red light because you were included in a funeral procession.
- Your evidence displays that your vehicle or license plate was stolen or transferred before the date and time of the violation.
- If your vehicle was one of multiple in the photo, it might be possible that your vehicle was not the one to trigger the camera.
- You can try to challenge the proper operability of the camera if you have evidence that the camera didn’t function properly at the time of the violation. Request the technician’s certificates. If they are unavailable, you may request a dismissal of the summons.
- Your evidence displays that the traffic light was broken at the time of the violation.
We’re Here to Help
If you received a red light camera citation in the mail that you don’t believe you deserve, we may be able to help. Our attorneys have assisted many other people in similar situations, and we may be able to assist you, too. Don’t delay—contact our office with any questions you may have right away.
Call the New York lawyers at The Ahearne Law Firm, PLLC today at (845) 763-4100 to speak with an accomplished attorney about your case.